Simple and easy exercises to look after your spine at home
Good morning Golfers!
Unfortunately, during these days, we have to stay at home.
No golf, no exercise and the back pain can easily pop up. How can we fix it?
In few lines I’d like to explain you how your spine works; it has 2 functions:
- Support of the whole body
- Protection of the spinal cord and nerves
Vertebras have different sizes and between them there is a gel disc that works like a shock absorber and it distributes the pressure on the spine.
The spine itself needs to move to be healthy; laying many hours on the sofa is absolutely not recommended, but yes some simple exercises that we can easily do at home, using a chair or similar and a pilates mat.
Following the link, you can watch the whole video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9HoJu9mXPI
- Sitting on chair or similar, hand on your knees, legs apart. Bend over (exhaling) and move back (inhaling) with the help of your arms, looking at the ceiling. 10 reps
- Same starting position; hands behind your head, rotate on side slowly (exhaling) and turn back to the neutral position (inhaling). 5 reps each side
- Stand up, hands on something firm and solid; bend over extending arms and spine (exhaling); with the help of your hands, turn back (inhaling) gently. 10 reps
- On the floor, knees bent and arms along your side. Curve your spine to rolling on your hips (inhaling) and turn back, flattening your back on the mat (exhaling). 10 reps
- Back leaning on the mat, knees bent; (inhale) hug one knee pulling towards you gently (exhaling) and move it back to the floor; do the same with the other leg. 10 reps
- Back leaning on the mat, knees bent; using a towel, a rope or an elastic band, extend one leg to ceiling feeling tension on the posterior part of that leg and hold it 30 sec. each leg.
I like to insist often on the breathing because is a very efficient way to mobilize the middle part of your spine and it improves the health of the whole spine.
Please, STOP immediately if you feel pain during the exercises and feel free to contact me.
I’ll be happy to help you about any clarification or question or receive a propose about a new video or article.
“Feel better, play better”
See you soon!
Sport Physiotherapist, specialized in Golf; founder and director of www.physiogolfmarbella.com